This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Flag Legislation
Last modified: 2003-07-05 by dov gutterman
Keywords: bosnia and herzegovina | bosnia | herzegovina | triangle | stars | law |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
I have now got from the Office of the High Representative in
Sarajevo the Law on the Flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina,
adopted by the High Representative on Wednesday 4 February 1998.
The law was accompanied by a specification sheet flag drawing,
which I have used to make reliable (hopefully) images.
The text of the law is as follows:
- In accordance with my authority under Annex 10 of the
Peace Agreement and Article XI of the Bonn Document, I do
hereby decide that the Law on the Flag of Bosnia and
Herzegovina enters into force with an immediate effect on
an interim basis, until the Parliamentary Assembly adopts
this law in due form.
No. 01/98 [signature]
4 February 1998 High Representative
Sarajevo Carlos Westendorp
LAW ON THE FLAG OF BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
- Article 1
- This Law regulates the shape and design of the flag of
Bosnia and Herzegovina, as well as its display at the
level of the State of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Article 2
- The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina represents Bosnia and
Herzegovina and is displayed as the symbol of Bosnia and
- Article 3
- The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina is of a blue colour.
Right of centre there is a triangle of yellow colour.
Running parallel to the left side of this triangle is a
row of white five pointed stars in a line from the top
edge of the flag to the bottom edge. The flag of Bosnia
and Herzegovina is of a rectangular shape. The
relationship between the length and width is 1:2.
- Article 4
- The measurements and technical specifications regarding
the design, graphic presentation and dimensions of the
flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Annex form an
integral part of this Law.
- Article 5
- 1. The flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina shall be officially
displayed at the level of the State of Bosnia and
Herzegovina in the following ways:
- i) On all buildings of the Presidency of Bosnia
and Herzegovina, the Council of Ministers and its
three Ministries, the Parliamentary Assembly of
Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Constitutional Court
of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Standing Committee
of Military Matters, the Commission of Human
Rights, the Central Bank and the Permanent
Election Commission following its formation and
on any other building of the common institutions
or institution which is administered by or
reporting to common institutions.
- ii) On all buildings of Embassies and Consulates
of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- iii) On official occasions of the departure of
the members of the Presidency of Bosnia and
Herzegovina abroad and on their return from
- iv) On official means of transport used by
members of the Presidency of Bosnia and
- v) On all occasions of official international
visits, competitions and other gatherings
(political, scientific, cultural - artistic,
sports and others) at which Bosnia and
Herzegovina is participating or is represented.
- vi) At the border crossings of Bosnia and
- 2. In all cases referred to in the previous paragraph, no
other flag from Bosnia and Herzegovina shall be displayed
together with the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- 3. Official display of the flag in the Entities and
unofficial use of the flag will be regulated by a
- Article 6
- Disrespect for the flag of Bosnia and Herzegovina is a
punishable offense. Necessary legislation shall be
adopted by the Entities within 2 months from the entry
into force of this Law.
- Article 7
- This Law shall be published in the "Official Gazette
of Bosnia and Herzegovina" and in the official
gazettes of the Entities.
Jan Oskar Engene, 9 February 1998