Last modified: 2003-02-01 by antonio martins
Keywords: cape verde | political | paicv | star: 5 points (black) | paigc | partido africano da independência de cabo verde |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
This party arose from the common P.A.I.G.C. party from
Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde, that
had a yellow over green flag with a red stripe at hoist,
and from which where derived both the current flag of
Guinea-Bissau and the
previous flag of Cape Verde.
I don't know how old is this flag (I didn't know it before),
but I suspect it dates from the time when the P.A.I.C.V.
abandoned marxism-leninism and became a western-type
socialist party. The P.A.I.C.V., by the way, was formed when
the confederation between Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde got
split, leading to the split of the common P.A.I.G.C. party.
In Guinea, the party kept the same name.
Jorge Candeias, 11 Mar 1999
The party emblem and flag are prescribed in the party statues, adopted during the VIIIth congress of PAICV, held in Praia on 20 September 1997. PAICV had been founded on 20 January 1981. The original text in Portuguese can be found at http://www.paicv.org/Estatutos.html. Here’s my translation attempt:
Ivan Sache, 14 Dec 2001
Article 3. Symbols.
- 1. The symbols of PAICV shall be its emblem and its flag.
- 2. The emblem shall be a rectangle divided in three smaller rectangles of different proportions, placed from top to bottom as follows:
- a. a main rectangle of yellow colour, on which is placed a five-pointed star, which points touch the sides of the said rectangle, being one point on each side — upper, left and right —, and two points on the bottom side
- b. a green rectangle
- c. a red rectangle on which is placed the acronym of the party PAICV.
- d. the aforementioned rectangles are separated by narrow horizontal stripes.
- 3. The flag shall be made of a rectangle divided into two fields:
- a. three vertical stripes, equal in shape ans area, from left to right, green, red, and yellow.
- b. a main white field, charged in the middle with a black five-pointed star. The acronym of the party PAICV is placed just below the star.