You are here > 1Up Travel > Travel Warnings & Consular Information Sheet > Saint Vincent and the Grenadines


Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets

By Name of Country


Travel Warning & Consular Information Sheet

Travel Warning & Consular Information Sheet for St Vincent and the Grenadines

St. Vincent and the Grenadines - Consular Information Sheet
September 14, 1999

COUNTRY DESCRIPTION: St. Vincent and The Grenadines is a developing island nation. Tourism facilities are available, but in some instances they are not highly developed.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS: For stays up to six months, U.S. citizens may enter St. Vincent and The Grenadines without a passport. U.S. citizens must carry an original document proving U.S. citizenship (a U.S. passport, certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship or a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate). Photo identification, a return/onward ticket and/or proof of sufficient funds are also required. For further information concerning entry requirements, travelers can contact the Embassy of St. Vincent and The Grenadines, 3216 New Mexico Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016, telephone (202) 364-6730, or the consulates in Los Angeles, New Orleans, and New York.

CRIME INFORMATION: Petty street crime occurs. From time to time, property has been stolen from yachts anchored in The Grenadines. Valuables left unattended on beaches are subject to theft. Persons interested in nature walks or hikes in the northern area of St. Vincent should contact local tour operators and guides before going into such isolated areas because of limited police presence.

The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. U.S. citizens can refer to the Department of State's pamphlet, A Safe Trip Abroad, for ways to promote a more trouble-free journey. The pamphlet is available by mail from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402, via the Internet at http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs, or via the Bureau of Consular Affairs home page at http://travel.state.gov.

MEDICAL FACILITIES: Medical facilities are available, but may be limited outside urban areas. Serious medical problems requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to the U.S. can cost thousands of dollars or more. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services, and U.S. medical insurance is not always valid outside the U.S. U.S. Medicare and Medicaid programs do not provide payment for medical services outside the U.S.

MEDICAL INSURANCE: Uninsured travelers who require medical care overseas may face extreme difficulties. Please check with your own insurance company to confirm whether your policy applies overseas, including provision for medical evacuation. Please ascertain whether payment will be made to the overseas hospital or doctor or whether you will be reimbursed later for expenses that you incur. Some insurance policies also include coverage for psychiatric treatment and for disposition of remains in the event of death. Useful information on medical emergencies abroad, including overseas insurance programs, is provided in the Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs brochure Medical Information for Americans Traveling Abroad, available via the Bureau of Consular Affairs home page or autofax: (202) 647-3000.

OTHER HEALTH INFORMATION: Information on vaccinations and other health precautions may be obtained from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's hotline for international travelers at (877) FYI-TRIP (394-8747); fax: (888) CDC-FAXX 232-3299); or via their Internet site at http://www.cdc.gov.

TRAFFIC SAFETY/ROAD CONDITIONS: While in a foreign country, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the U.S. The information below concerning St. Vincent and The Grenadines is provided for general reference only, and may not be totally accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

Safety of Public Transportation: Fair to Poor
Urban Road Conditions/Maintenance: Fair to Poor
Rural Road Conditions/Maintenance: Frequently Poor
Availability of Roadside Assistance: Fair to Poor

Vehicles travel on the left, and traffic approaches from the right. Roads are narrow, with steep inclines/declines throughout the island. Taxis and buses tend to be relatively safe, but the buses are often overcrowded. Vans are generally overcrowded and frequently travel at high rates of speed. Rural mountainous roads are the more dangerous areas for road travel. Night driving should be done with great caution and is discouraged in mountainous areas because the roads are not well marked, there are few, if any, guardrails, and the roads are often steep and winding.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of St. Vincent and The Grenadines' civil aviation authority as Category 2 -- not in compliance with international aviation safety standards for oversight of St. Vincent and The Grenadines' air carrier operations. While consultations to correct the deficiencies are ongoing, St. Vincent and The Grenadines' air carriers are permitted to conduct limited operations to the U.S. subject to heightened FAA surveillance.

CHILDREN’S ISSUES: For information on international adoption of children, international parental child abduction, and international child support enforcement issues, please refer to our Internet site at http://travel.state.gov/children's_issues.html or telephone (202) 736-7000.

EMBASSY LOCATION/REGISTRATION: The United States does not maintain an Embassy in St. Vincent and The Grenadines. U.S. citizens requiring assistance may contact the U.S. Embassy in Bridgetown, Barbados; telephone 1 (246) 436-4950. The Consular Section is located in the American Life Insurance Company (ALICO) building, Cheapside, Bridgetown; telephone 1 (246) 431-0225. Americans are encouraged to register at the Consular Section of the Embassy in Bridgetown and obtain updated information on travel and security in St. Vincent and The Grenadines and within the area.

Go Up - Top of Page

More Travel Related links for Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Presents the Country Guide to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Explore Large, and Detailed Maps of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • View the Country Flag of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Reveals every detailed facts about the Country Flag of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Uncover the Geography, and Geographic Facts of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Read the Consular Info Sheet, and Travel Warning related to Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

  • Make 1Up Travel your HomepageSend this Page to a FriendGo to Top of PagePrint this PageAdd 1Up Travel to your Favorites


    • Compare Country Info • Hotel Directory • Geography • Flags • World Maps • Travel Warnings • National Parks


    • Asia • Africa • Caribbean • Middle East • North America • South America • Central America • Oceania Pacific • Europe • Polar Regions


    • Destinations • Monuments • Ancient Wonders • Modern Wonders • Natural Wonders


    • World Time • ISD Codes • Travel Links • Link Exchange


    Disclaimer: Although we've tried to make the information on this web site as accurate as possible, we accept no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by any person resulting from information published on this site. We encourage you to verify any critical information with the relevant authorities before you travel.

    Copyright © 1Up Travel All Rights Reserved.
    Go Up

    Privacy Policy